Thursday, February 21, 2013

My Secret Valentine

You've heard of Secret Santa, Yankee Swap, White Elephant, or even SFFCWGYG*? Well, last week for Valentine's Day we had Secret Valentines at work. Like a put-your-name-in-a-hat-and-pick-a-random-co-worker-to-secretly-give-V-day-treats-to Secret Valentine.

*No? Well this was a wonderful little Christmas tradition from my very Christian high-school's choir days: "Secret Friend From Choir Who's Giving You Gift" or what I liked to call a "Secret Jesus".

If you know me, you know I don't half-ass anything that involves secret gifts and crafting, soooo, starting on Monday, I gave my Valentine something every day leading up to Feb. 14. The budget was $5, which is nothing, so I went over it by like $3, but come on - I wouldn't be a good secret admirer if I just left one dinky box o' chocolates on her desk on Valentine's Day, right? There has to be some build up!

Monday: I made an origami heart box, and filled it with some Peruvian chocolates I had at home. Cost: $0

Making this, secretly, at work was really hard. To replicate check out the 2-part video here and here. 

Tuesday: I bought Dove chocolates in a heart shaped tin from CVS. Cost: $3.99

Wednesday: I popped out to H&M and bought a cute little multi-colored leopard print toiletry bag. Cost: $3.95

Friday:  Homemade Alfajores - Peruvian cookies filled with dulce de leche. Cost: $4, I had most/all ingredients at home, and didn't count this towards the budget because I made enough to share with everyone in the office.

Take-out Tupperware + red acrylic paint =  Cute packaging :)
I'll be sharing how I made the Alfajores - so look out for that post!

Did you have a secret admirer? Do anything special for Valentine's Day?
xoxo
mc

No comments:

Post a Comment