Tuesday, March 23, 2010

God Save the Queen...

 Let's face it, you can't do much better than Oprah. She's everyone's best friend, confidant, mother, child, girlfriend and adviser. She takes on so many roles, it would be hard not to feel a connection with her on some level. I mean, even my mom is convinced that Opes is her BFF.

So, I was not surprised to hear about a woman who decided to start a blog based on the idea that she would follow Oprah's advice every day for a whole year. Anything with an Oprah stamp of approval would soon be done, scheduled, purchased, followed or owned by her. I heard about Robyn Okrant's blog-turned-book, Living Oprah: My One-Year Experiment to Walk the Walk of the Queen of Talk on a CNBC special about The Oprah Effect. This program highlighted all the different products, people, and places that Oprah has shot into success, just by merely mentioning, inviting, or interviewing them on her show.


Sure this idea sounded crazy, but then again, aren't the craziest things the most intriguing? Well, I'm sure you can imagine that when I heard about this project, I was beyond excited. Can I go as far as to say that my A-Ha! Moment was when I realized I needed to get that book? Of course, in true "me" fashion, it took me forever to actually get it and read it...but that is beside the point.

Honestly, I wasn't expecting Okrant to fawn all over Ms. Winfrey's every whim, but there were many times where I ended up feeling very annoyed. Did she really have to take all of Oprah's advice? I  mean, O is my mom's best friend, but she would never take every bit of Oprah's daily advice. For example, we all know Oprah does not want you to buy an outdoor fireplace if you don't have a backyard. That's just stupid. She's just giving you all the facts and then leaving it up to you to decide what you'll take away from that day's episode.

As I read about Okrant's adventures, I would sit there and scoff, "That's not really what Oprah's saying, Robyn. Come on, you're just looking for any reason to pass judgment on Oprah's suggestions." But, then I started thinking, maybe not everyone is as savvy? Maybe that woman in the middle-of-no-where America is thinking, "Yes, you're right Oprah! I don't have two pennies to rub together, but $50 organic soaps for my guest bathroom, really are the way to go." So I stopped getting offended by Okrant's questionings and tried to objectively get through the rest of the year with her.

Frustration lurked - ready to come out at any turn of the page - but, I enjoyed following Okrant on her self-inflicted, Oprah-fied journey. It was inspiring to think of coming up with one project to follow through for a whole year....inspiring and daunting. I am pretty sure I couldn't commit to something like that. My dedication to daily postings should be more than enough evidence to support that argument.


On that note, please, check out this excerpt from the Oprah chapter in Denis Leary's book. It pretty much sums up how awesome she is. (You should read Why We Suck, even if it is just to skip right to this chapter).

No comments:

Post a Comment