Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Goodbye Beach Reads!

Usually when Labor Day weekend comes around, I am so lazy that I just hang around doing nothing. But this year I feel like I really took advantage of the last full summer weekend. I spent two glorious days at the beach with good friends, walked around and enjoyed the city, spent time with my sister, and I even got to squeeze in some much needed reading time and finished The Tiger's Wife. Let's catch up on my meager list of books from August:


The Gastronomy of Marriage by Michelle Maisto: A little disappointing. I was expecting this to be more like Julia Child's book, full of love and adventure and cooking, but it fell short. Grade: C/C+


Great House by Nicole Krauss: I loved History of Love and I couldn't wait to read another book by Krauss. Although, not as good, it was a great read and I would recommend it to anyone of my friends. Grade: B+/A

The Love Goddess' Cooking School by Melissa Senate: Great summer read. Fast, easy and lovely. Who doesn't like a good love story that involves cooking delicious food and a little "magic"? Grade: A

The Tiger's Wife by Tea Oberht: You guys know that I usually wait for the hype to die down around a bestseller, but I had requested this from my "e-library" and it unexpectedly came earlier then I had anticipated. Anyway, I'm glad it did, because I couldn't put it down! I'm still getting used to reading on my nook, though. It's definitely nice not having to lug around a big hardcover book, but there is still something to be said about throwing a book into your bag, feeling the pages in your hands, and not having to worry about sand creeping into the crevices at the beach :) Grade: A+

Next up: State of Wonder by Ann Patchett. If you haven't read anything by Ann Patchett yet, you need to go pick up Bel Canto and then tell me what you thought! And I'll let you know if State of Wonder lives up to the expectation.

No comments:

Post a Comment