Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Autumn in New York


The falling leaves, the crisp cool air, the tourists, and this incessant internal nagging to craft lets me know it's time to bring out the fall wardrobe and start stocking up on Joann's and Michael's coupons. It's also the time when I get to settle back into my more regular reading groove. Summer is great, but there is so much to do! There is never enough time to really sink your teeth into a bunch of great books. And you book lovers know, nothing feels better than curling up on your couch under a warm blanket, or finding a quiet, cozy coffee shop and immersing yourself into your book's pages for a few hours.
 
I'm not complaining or making excuses (me? excuses for being a neglectful blogger? never!), but work has been crazy since April and I've had to take work home with me (which as an editorial assistant consists of reading and reading and more reading!) so instead of being able to slip one of the (too) many books off my shelves at home, I've had to read pages and pages of manuscripts and proposals - SO this list is just shameful, especially since the last time I posted was basically the end of August!


State of Wonder by Ann Patchett: Not as good as Bel Canto, but I was not disappointed. Patchett is an exquisite story teller and although some parts were a bit...unrealistic...I really enjoyed reading this book and, as always, became completely invested in her characters. Grade: A-


Rules of Civility by Amor Towles (September Book Club Pick): *Shout out!* I love my book club - it is full of intelligent, friendly, challenging, inviting, funny women who I am lucky to have as friends and fellow book clubbers. AND they all work in publishing which is just the cherry on top!* ANYWAY - I liked this book. Friendship, Love, Jealousy, Regret, Hope - all with the backdrop of good ol' New York. Grade: A


I Am Not Myself These Days by Josh Kilmer-Purcell: Okay, so I've had a copy of this book on my shelf FOREVER! My ex-roommate gave it to me - one of our mutual friends (one of the lovely ladies in my book club) was the editor of this book - and told me it was really good. But of course, I then put it on my "to-read" pile and never got to it. Fast-forward to my friend bringing it into work and telling me I just had to read it. What else was there to do but read it? It was not what I was expecting - perhaps a bit vulgar for the faint of heart, well written and hypnotizing. Grade: B


The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman: Why am I always drawn to stories about people in publishing? Love this short-story-esque book about ex-pats and an international English language newspaper. Grade: A-


The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach:  I am NOT a sports person, so don't think, just because this is a coming-of-age novel based on the story of a boy and his college baseball career, that it isn't your cup of tea. I loved the characters, the conflict, and all the storylines. I would recommend it. Grade: A


Afterword
I've been really into teen fiction as of late, so I'm in the middle of reading three books (which I never do):
I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore
Shatter Me by Tareheh Mafi
Wings by Aprilynne Pike

No comments:

Post a Comment