Thursday, November 11, 2010

Paper Anniversary

Book: The Paper Anniversary by Joan Wickersham
Rating: C+/B
NYPL Loan (Recommended by my boss)


I wish I could say that it took me almost three weeks to finish this because I was feverishly working on my novel....But I'm not going to lie to you.

This book was smart. And not in a SAT word/philosophical kind of way. It's hard to explain. And I don't know if "smart" is the right word. Maybe "real". It was a love story with real problems and real situations. It wasn't sentimental and it wasn't full of bullshit like other, lighter chick lit.

At first, I didn't like the characters (unhappily married Harvard grads) because they were selfish and annoying. But then I realized that I didn't like them because they were too human. This wasn't a book I was reading to escape the real world. This was a book that made me think about important, everyday things. Like when your mom calls you and starts asking you about bills or exercising or dating - all the things you think about on a daily basis, but try to avoid...

Anyway. This is not a throw-in-your-bag book that you can easily pick up on the subway and dive back in. You definitely have to allow for a hefty chunk of time in your day to enjoy the story.

If you had asked me if I liked the book while I was reading it, I would have shrugged my shoulders and said, "Eh...I'm just trying to through it." But when I got to the end, I was surprised when I felt satisfied - I had actually really liked it and didn't know until I finished it.

No comments:

Post a Comment