Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Audrey Niffenegger **Double Feature** Part II

It is time to bestow upon you another one of my obsessions: twins. It's possible that this might even be worse than my obsession with Jewish people. While I can't convince myself that I am a Jew (although my mom likes to point out that we are "a little German-Jewish" on her dad's side), I have yet to give up on the idea that I had/have a twin.

The conversation with my mom usually goes like this:

Me: Mom?

Mom: Yes, honey?

Me: Tell me the truth.....I had a twin right? She died at birth? You had to give her up? You can tell me. It's ok. I just need to know.

At which point my mom rolls her eyes and continues doing whatever she was doing before I interrupted her with my ridiculous question.

I have had close encounters with fulfilling my life long dream of twin-dom. My sister and I always get confused for each other, and on one family vacation, my mom even got asked how old her "twins" were, that has to be something right? Did I fail to mention we're 8 years apart? Mere technicality.

My second encounter is with my friend L. There are so many things in our lives that mirror each other, it's just uncanny. We both sang in high school, our parents are divorced, our names rhyme, our moms are from South America, we both went to BC, we both had boyfriends named Steven...the list goes on and on!

I don't know why I am so intrigued by this. I guess I like knowing that people can be connected even when they are not together just because they shared a womb. Like when you hear those stories about a set of twins being separated at birth and then when they find each other, they find out they broke the same bones when they were little, they grew up to have the same jobs, they have spouses with the same name, they have the same number of children....etc. It's just so freaking AWESOME!

So you can just imagine when I started reading Her Fearful Symmetry and found out that the main protagonists were twins, my heart fluttered with excitement. Even though it was Audrey Niffenegger and things got dark and weird, it didn't really matter because I got to feed my obsession. Of course, this book wasn't all about twins. It was about deception, family secrets, unhealthy dependence and ghosts.
I definitely recommend you read this!


Stop Reading If You Don't Want to Know What I Thought Of the Ending (I do not actually tell you what happens, just thought I've give you the option. I know how it is when someone tells you something vague about a book and then all you want to do when you're reading it, is know what the heck she or he was talking about):




Once again, Niffenegger didn't disappoint with her whacked out twist that filled me with anger and uncontainable rage. How could she do what she did?!?! I think I actually had to put the book down before I finished the last 70 pages because I just couldn't believe it. I mean I had been suspecting that something like that would happen, but really? REALLY? ....BREATHE......Even with all that anger and rage, I still would recommend this book, because it was a great read, and shouldn't we be having these passionate reactions to books no matter what side of the emotional spectrum they land on?

1 comment:

  1. Three issues with your current post: 1. why does your friend "L" get anonymity (I know who you are) and I get a picture; 2. Why you outing my age? After a certain decade, us ladies don't need everybody knowing our business. 3. Lastly, there are way better pics of us, does it weird you out when you have to do a double take? Freaks me out!!!
    PS. Austria twin comment was an awesome moment, and with the Sound of Music in the background...sigh :)

    ReplyDelete