Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Take two and call me in the morning...

I am experiencing some writer's block. And it's not like I don't have material to write about. I mean, I just finished Her Fearful Symmetry (I'm thinking about a double feature piece, including Time Traveler's Wife, what do you think?), I'm almost done with Traveling with Pomegranates AND just this past weekend I went to Strand Bookstore in Union Square for the first time! I should be pouring out my jumbled thoughts and adventures to all of you, but for the past couple of days, it's been hard to sift through them.

Maybe writer's block is the wrong word...I'm experiencing writer's overflow. My brain is too full. If you looked inside my head right now you would probably see something like that scene in I Love Lucy with the conveyor belt and chocolates. I feel like I have a lot to say, but my pesky inner critic has been coming out to play. She's like the mean girl at school  who comes to knock your blocks over after you've just finished placing the top piece with a proud flourish.  So while I wrestle with my inner bully, I'll share a priceless conversation I had with my parents about my love life:

Me: I'm going to die alone.
Mom: What are you talking about? You are going to find a nice, successful, handsome, wonderful.....(then she goes off on her own tangent while my dad talks over her)
Dad: When it's the right time, you'll find the right man.
Mom: .....sexy man who will make you as happy as Daddy makes me. Maybe you should call your friend, S and go out to the discos with her? You have to put yourself out there!


Me: Ugh, I know all that, but... ***big sigh*** ....men are just big headaches.
Mom (nods in agreement): Yea, I know. But you'll find the right man to give you the right headaches.
Dad (appalled and defensive): What and you think women aren't headaches? Sometimes you just have to .......... learn how to take Tylenol.

2 comments:

  1. Did your mom really say "discos"? *so* cute & your dad sounds infinitely wise

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I feel like I have a lot to say, but my pesky inner critic has been coming out to play."

    I know exactly how you feel. I send my blogs via email. Often times I get so off topic I have to delete 3-5 paragraphs worth of work.

    Also, the "oh shit, I'm gonna die alone and my nephew is gonna find my body lying face down on the floor in my underwear with a can of spaghettio's open on the counter" factor comes into play as well. But it's just panic. It's really not that big of a deal. It'll happen when it happens.

    ReplyDelete