Friday, February 8, 2013

How I became VP of Fashion Club

*Warning - this post is freaking long - but I think it's totally worth it*

I've always been obsessed with clothes and fashion, so when someone at my new job asked me if I wanted to be part of the Fashion Club how could I resist? Did you misread that? Does "job" mean "summer camp"? Am I taking up extracurricular activities for my college apps? Nope. Some girl at my job came up to my desk a month after I had started and asked me to be part of her club. The conversation went a little like this:

D: Hey
Me: Hi (clickity clack typing away- when I start a new job, I live by the ANTM motto: I'm not here to make friends)
D: I really like your jacket!
Me: Oh thanks! (It is this great black and white polka dot blazer that I LOVE). I just got it at Ann Taylor Loft for like 60% off.
D: Awesome. (beat) So, you should be part of the Fashion Club.
Me: (chuckle) Yea, haha. My fashion sense is awesome.
(Guys, I thought she was kidding)
D: So, do you know Mike Epstein?
Me: Uhhhhhh
D: Well, he used to be HR, but now I'm recruiting people. T is the President and S is Director of Communications.
(WTF?)
Me: Oh...cool...yea
D: Great! So, you should definitely apply to be part of Fashion Club. You just have to write a cover letter, and send us a picture of your best outfit. We'll review it and tell you if you've been accepted.
Me: Oh....um....okay.

And that's when I thought....is this a mean girl moment? Is this girl just inviting me to be part of this "club" so that I send her a cover letter and get really into it and then she forwards it along to all the other bitches at work and they just make fun of me behind my back? Is this for real? Well....not but a few minutes later did I get an email:

********
Subject: Fashion Club Update

Hello team,

...After observing and studying their outfit choices and color combinations, I would like to invite MCC and R to apply to Fashion Club...


*Reminder* To apply to Fashion Club and be considered for admission, you must send a Cover Letter to S  - Head of Communications-, to our lovely President T, and to myself along with a photograph where we can see your fabulous outfit of the day.
 
Thank you and I hope you two accept this invitation.
********

And like any normal person I forwarded it to all my friends and cracked jokes and wondered aloud to each other whether or not they were actual mean girls. After a lot of LOLing and mulling it over, I thought it couldn't hurt to send out a quick little response: 

********
Subject: RE: Fashion Club Update
Hello all,

Thank you for inviting me to be part of the prestigious and exclusive fashion club! I am honored to know that someone other than myself and my mirror appreciates my daily fashion choices.

I’ll be mulling over my best outfit this weekend and constructing a cover letter that will knock your matte stockings off your well-manicured feet!

Have a great weekend – Saturday is supposed to be prime Fall-layering weather!
MCC
********

C'mon! I couldn't resist the opportunity to make all those fashion-y sentences! I waited a couple of weeks before actually sending a cover letter. I wanted to get to know these girls. And when I was pretty sure they weren't going to go all mean girls on me, I sent this KICK-ASS cover letter:

**********
Hello all,

I have been remiss and I hope that that has not left you indifferent to my participation in the Fashion Club. I will not regale you with excuses for my delayed response but extend an apology and some awesome photos. Unsure of whether or not you would like a very formal cover letter, I do hope that an  informal “cover-plea” for my acceptance will suffice.

First and foremost, I would like to say again how happy I was when you extended the invitation to join the Fashion Club...People don’t know that fashion doesn't have to be shallow. That it’s not about insecurity or designer labels or status. It is about expressing yourself, your personality, and your character...   

...And, I do love searching the racks for that perfect trendy piece that will update an old outfit and make it fresh and new!

I’m inspired by designers who not only make clothes, but create art. I went to the Alexander McQueen exhibit last year and each piece was an incredible sculpture, each print a unique painting...Of course, like anyone else, I am inspired by magazines, blogs, celebrities, friends, and designers, but my original and constant inspiration is my mother.  I grew up surrounded by fashion. I can still remember my mom running out the door to work with her highly teased hair, brightly colored jackets with sky-high shoulder pads, tight leather mini-skirts, sheer tights and 80’s pumps...living the life of a true fashionista. She constantly changed her style with each season and still kept it classic. She ignited this passion.

As for the photos attached, photo #1, shows that fashion was even a priority at a young age (okay, okay, this one is kind of a joke...I’m 2nd from the right – my nanny and I decided that a short bob was the way to go for the first day of 2nd grade – not the best decision).  


Photo #2 stars my Michael Kors trench coat that I got at Marshall’s for like $100! You can see my red/orange/brown paisley LOFT sweater peeking through, and the strap of my red Cynthia Rowley bag (also from Marshall’s for a steal!). 

Photo #3 is from my sister’s rehearsal dinner – I love the pleats on that skirt – that dress made me feel like I had just come from the tennis club. Note the purple nails!

I would love to be part of this club, not only because fashion is great, but also because I am excited to get to know all of you better!

I hope I have made my case and I can’t wait to hear more about what the Fashion club does and everything it entails.
Best,
MCC
********

And that's how I got invited and accepted to the Fashion Club. And finally made friends at work.
Hope you enjoyed this embarrassing display.
xoxo
mc

No comments:

Post a Comment